Yes, creating even very big help files is easy and fast with HelpHikes Pro! Programmers, Help Authors, Writers, Sysops, Hobbyists take note! HelpHikes Pro is so fast and easy to use that in addition to your regular program documentation, you would also love to create help files for all your reference stuff--the stuff you never thought was so easy to put into help files. This may include your reference notes, phone lists, task lists, support notes, program design docs, reusable routines, catalogs, genealogical trees and so on.
by Sanjay Kanade
Organizer and hypertext features
- You'll love the easier, one folder per help file, concept!
- You get the taste of multiple-window authoring! Helps you brainstorm your ideas for any kind of authoring or writing.
- You get the superb organizer and hypertext features to manage your help topics.
- You get the power of dragging and dropping topic links by their names. No context strings to deal with!
- You get the freedom from assigning and remembering context strings! Yet, you also get the power to override them if you want to.
- You can use and test your hypertext links even at authoring time!
- You get the real power of a markup language, HHML. If you have used HTML for creating web pages, you already have used a markup language. HelpHikes Pro uses its own markup language, HHML, and gives you the features to:
- Insert JUMP or REF (popup) links to other topics or help files.
- Insert text attributes like BOLD, similar to HTML.
- Use other fonts, sizes and colors. Even define custom text styles using rtf macros.
- Insert bulleted and numeric lists.
- Indent or right/left justify paragraphs.
- Insert pictures or pictures with hotspots (hypergraphics).
- Insert WinHelp macro programs.
- Create your own custom hypertext link statements to extend the markup language. Many examples in the sample folders.
- Reuse your custom statements and text styles in other projects, easily.
- You get a smart text template insertion tool, called WhizMenu! This helps you insert the HHML markup language statements easily. WhizMenu is customizable! You can even use it to author HTML web pages as described later on this page!
- You get much higher speed of help RTF creation due to the markup language based approach of HelpHikes Pro.
- You get the innovative "smart-build" option to save your time further. Smart-build only reprocesses the RTF for changed topics, somewhat similar to the "make" or "project" concepts in other IDEs.
- You automatically avoid the huge error listings from the help compiler! Most hyperlink errors are caught up front by HelpHikes Pro due to its markup language based approach.
- Due to the above features, you can create large help files with thousands of topics, easily. No more analysis of huge error listings from the help compiler and no more waiting for hours to get the RTF file corrected.
- You don't waste time in the superficial GUI screens which require you to remember and enter symbols like context strings. Rather, you get the markup language based intelligent solutions which use the normal Windows editing features. Here are some examples:
- You can create your Help Contents items with simple drag and drop, copy and paste of topic names. No need to remember and assign context strings as in Help Workshop (HCW).
- You can create browsing groups and sequences with simple drag and drop, copy and paste of topic names.
- You can define and use the secondary windows easily and can reuse your definitions across projects.
- You get innovative features in the markup language, like pinning a help topic to a particular secondary window so that all displays of that topic always go to that secondary window. You don't need to specify the window in all the links!
- You assign keywords, macros and other attributes to the topics in an object oriented manner.
- You can also insert keywords directly in the text wherever you want the index to jump to.
- You can create the non-scrolling topic titles easily, or even heavily customize them for individual topics.
- You can also customize and generate sections of the HPJ project file for advanced usage, such as for interfacing with DLLs.
- You can specify a template to generate the context IDs in any programming language for providing context sensitive help in your applications.
- You can use topic name aliases so that they are different from the ones used in authoring.
- You get the power to conditionally include/exclude the text, similar to the ifdefs in C. Hence, the same folder can create different versions of help files with these features.
- You can specify the startup help macros for a help file, or for a topic.
- You can export the normal RTF without the help footnotes for creating a printable document .
- You need to spend less for help authoring! No other word processing program is required.
- You'll find HelpHikes Pro so easy and handy that you'll be tempted to create help files of all your notes.
- You get the detailed documentation in the online help and on the web site. Plus, you get the FREE email newsletter to inform of updates.
- You get useful sample files with the program and from the web site.
- You get many tips for the programmers in the documentation.
HTML editing features
- You are forced to classify your information so that you get a better control on it and can find your notes easily.
- You learn to divide your information into smaller topics which are easier to manage as independent objects.
- You learn to group topics into separate folders according to your needs.
- You can give long names to your topics to easily identify them.
- You learn to drag and drop hypertext links between topics and folders so that you can find related notes easily!
- You can even drop links to external documents so that they open in their native applications when you double-click on the links. A nice way to associate your notes with external documents.
- You get the power of multiple-window viewing of your notes where the topic windows know about their parent folders and automatically close when the folder is closed.
- You can exchange text with other applications by the clipboard or import/export operations.
- You have the option to get a spelling-checker having 100,000-word American and British dictionaries.
- You get innovative desktop restore features to resume your work from where you left it off.
- You get the convenience of drag and drop to copy or move topics, drop external text files to create topics, and to link up your information across folders.
- You get the powerful search/replace features in a multiple-window environment.
- You get convenient printing features to produce a listing of your topics with a table of contents. A nice way to produce a printout of a set of your existing text files, such as program source files.
- You get the convenience of desktop shortcuts to open your notes as HelpHikes Pro supports Windows shell open properly.
- You get a smart text template insertion tool, called WhizMenu! WhizMenu is customizable!
- You can set up a folder as a diary so that a topic name is automatically prefixed with Time/Date information.
- You can open a .HTM or .HTML file in a NotePad like editor window. You can have multiple .HTM files open in separate windows. Helps you brainstorm your ideas for authoring related web pages.
- Just double-click on an HREF value to open the http or ftp target in your
default browser. (Works on Windows 95 only)
- On the other hand, if HREF points to a relatively placed file and that file is present locally, it will open the file in another editor window. Very
convenient to jump across when authoring a web site with lots of
- Double-click also works on mid-page targets, and positions you to the target properly.
- A shift with double-click opens the above relatively linked file in the default browser.
- You can press a back arrow button on the toolbar to take you back on a jump or a series of jumps.
- The above double-click also works on SRC values of HTML frame statements. It also works on SRC of the IMG markers and opens the target picture file in its native application.
- At any time, you can press Ctrl-R to reload the current .HTM file in your default browser.
- You get a smart text template insertion tool
called WhizMenu, with ready made basic HTML templates. These
templates have features to enclose the selected text in HTML markers
as well as to position the caret. This can be very useful, for
example, to insert an HREF link where you just select the user text,
click on the WhizMenu and an HREF statement is inserted with caret
positioned at the place where you just type the target URL! You can
add your own HTML templates to use any conceivable feature of HTML.
There is virtually no limit on the number of templates due to the
multi-level, switchable, control-file based nature of the WhizMenu
- You can copy and paste links too.